HARRIS COUNTY, Texas — Fireworks sales for the Independence Day season begin Sunday, June 24, and we want you to be safe. Top Dog Fireworks is giving helpful tips to make sure there are no preventable tragedies happening while we celebrate.
Fireworks have long been associated with patriotism. Americans have been using fireworks to celebrate the 4th of July since 1777, the first anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
Top Dog Fireworks encourages everyone to follow simple safety rules when using fireworks. The company’s stores in the Greater Houston area will open June 24 at 10 a.m., and sales will continue through midnight on July 4.
Fireworks Safety Rules
- Always read and follow label directions.
- Have an adult present. Never give fireworks to small children.
- Buy from reliable sellers.
- Use outdoors only.
- Always have water handy (a garden hose and a bucket).
- Stay away from illegal explosives.
- Never experiment or make your own fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never re-light a “dud” firework. (Wait 15 to 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water).
- If necessary to store fireworks, keep them in a cool, dry place.
- Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water and then disposing of them in your trashcan.
- Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
- The shooter should always wear eye protection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
- And remember, always be courteous to your neighbors and pick up your debris.
For more information on fireworks, safety, locations and promotions, please visit www.topdogfireworks.com. Follow Top Dog on Twitter at @topdogfirework.