HOUSTON—Are you a high school or college student looking for a summer job? If so, look no further than at the YMCA of Greater Houston. Each of the 37 YMCA centers in Houston will hold job fairs on Saturday, March 15 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The job fairs are being held during Spring Break to give students a better opportunity to apply to more than 1,100 area positions. Most positions are seasonal, and employment runs from June to August with some training required in May. Interviews will occur during the job fair.
This is a good opportunity for students to gain workforce experience while helping children develop intellectually and physically. “If you love working with kids and you are interested in strengthening your community, you’ll love working at the YMCA,” said Jennifer Lopez, vice president of human resources at the Houston YMCA. “YMCA staff members get to make a difference in the lives of children by helping them grow and develop their skills. They also gain some valuable work experience at the beginning of their career.”
Job opportunities include lifeguards, swim instructors day camp counselors, group exercise instructors, personal trainers and welcome center staff.
Below are some basic requirements for each:
- Lifeguard – Minimum age of 16, strong swimming skills, passion for aquatics, lifeguard certifications
- Day Camp Counselor – Minimum age of 18, passion for working with kids
- Swim Instructor – Minimum age of 16, strong swimming skills, passion for aquatics, swim instructor certifications
- Group Exercise Instructor – Minimum age of 18, energetic, outgoing, group exercise certifications
- Personal Trainer – Minimum age of 21, enthusiastic, passion for helping others, personal training certifications
- Welcome Center – Minimum age of 16, friendly, strong computer and customer service skills
What to bring to the interview:
- A resume
- A filled-out application, which can be obtained in the lobby on the day of the fair